Traffic Modifications for Artscape 2013
Posted: July 12, 2013
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation would like to advise motorists of the street closures and parking restrictions in effect for Artscape 2013, Baltimore’s annual celebration of the arts. The event will take place in the vicinity of the Maryland Institute College of Art along Mount Royal Avenue on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July 19 – 21, 2013, rain or shine.
With over 350,000 people expected to attend, patrons are strongly encouraged to use public transportation, including mass transit, the light rail, park & ride facilities and the Charm City Circulator. The Mount Royal Light Rail stop is located in the heart of the festival and will operate with extended hours throughout the weekend.
In preparation for the event, a variety of traffic modifications will be implemented in the vicinity of the festival. Parking will be restricted within the festival area. Motorists should be aware that residential permit parking regulations will be strictly enforced.
The following street will be closed starting at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 11, 2013 and will remain closed until 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 23, 2013:
- Dolphin Street from Mount Royal Avenue to Howard Street
The following streets will be closed at 7:00 a.m. on Monday, July 15, 2013 through 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, July 23, 2013:
- Mt. Royal Avenue closed between North Avenue and Charles Street
- Cathedral Street closed between Preston Street and Mount Royal Avenue (garage access only)
- Preston Street closed between Cathedral and Howard Streets
- Oliver Street closed between Maryland and Mt. Royal Avenues (local garage and post office access will be maintained)
- W. Lanvale Street closed from Mt. Royal Avenue to Rutter Street
- W. Lafayette Avenue closed from Rutter Street to Mt. Royal Avenue
The following streets will be closed at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 through 6:00 a.m. on Monday, July 22, 2013:
- Curb lanes closed on Preston Street from Maryland Avenue to Cathedral Street
- E. Mt. Royal Avenue closed from Charles to St. Paul Streets
The following streets will be closed at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 18, 2013 through 6:00 a.m. Monday, July 22, 2013 (Impact begins on Charles Street):
- North Charles Street closed from Preston Street to North Avenue. The
- I-83 RAMP WILL CLOSE AT THIS TIME. Local access will be maintained between Biddle and Preston Streets.
- Lanvale Street closed from Maryland Avenue to Lovegrove Street
- North side curb lane of Preston Street closed from Charles to Lovegrove Streets
- LaFayette Avenue closed between Maryland Avenue and St. Paul Street. Local access will be maintained between St. Paul and Charles Streets.
The following streets will be closed at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, July 19, 2013 until 6:00 a.m. on Monday, July 22, 2013 (Impact begins on Maryland Avenue):
- Both sides of Maryland Avenue closed from North Avenue to Preston Street. Local traffic and access to the garage will be maintained.
- Southbound Jones Falls Expressway ramp to Maryland Avenue will remain open during this time for garage traffic only.
- A temporary two-way traffic pattern will be installed along Maryland Avenue from Oliver Street to North Avenue. Northbound Maryland Avenue traffic must make a right turn at North Avenue.
- A temporary two-way traffic pattern will be installed along W. Lafayette Avenue from Falls Road to Maryland Avenue to allow access to city yards and local businesses.
- W. Preston Street closed from Maryland Avenue to Cathedral Street (access will be granted to Meyerhoff Garage only)
- Two-way traffic will be installed on Park Avenue (next to the Meyerhoff) from Cathedral Street to the Symphony Center garage for festival parking.
Special Penn Drive Traffic Chute:
Once Charles Street closes, a special traffic chute will be created using traffic cones during non-festival hours to allow vehicles from Penn Drive to gain access to the I-83 ramp. Right turns onto N. Charles Street will still be restricted during these times.
The special chute will open:
- Thursday, July 18 at 12:00 a.m. until Friday, July 19 at 8:00 a.m.
- Friday, July 19 at 10:00 p.m. until Saturday, July 20 at 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, July 20 at 10:00 p.m. until Sunday, July 21 at 9:30 a.m.
Special Traffic Patterns:
Special one-way traffic patterns will be implemented along various roadways in the vicinity of the festival to provide local access for area residents throughout the event. Please note that on Sunday, July 21, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon, Maryland Avenue will be converted to a two-way traffic from Preston Street to Mt. Royal Avenue for morning church services. Congregational members trying to access the church should follow St. Paul Street to Preston Street, then Maryland Avenue to the parking lot.